Thursday, April 8, 2010

Starbucks

Next month, I will celebrate my 6 year anniversary with Starbucks. It seems like just yesterday the Siren and I began our relationship, but when I journey back in my mind, I cannot believe how long it truly has been.

The last year or so have involved a lot of ups & downs with my job and most days I have to really prepare myself for yet another. day. of. serving. coffee.

However, yesterday, as I was driving to California, I began thinking of all of the positives that have come out of my experience. and that really refreshed my soul. So many of these stories are worth mentioning so here goes...

1. Five years ago, I was in an accident two weeks before Christmas. My regular customers all knew what car I drove and, when they started seeing me in a different car they began to inquire what happened. Eventually word spread through out the entire store and a few days later, my manager approached me with an envelope from some of our customers. I opened it and found a Christmas card with a sweet greeting informing me that they had heard of my misfortune and wanted to bless me, as it was right before Christmas and they knew I had presents to buy and a car to pay for. Inside, was $350 in cash. To this day, I have no idea who blessed me in this way, but I have thought of those people and their generosity quite often.

2. I had a customer who bred chihuahuas for a hobby and she would always talk to me about her latest litter of pups. She would keep me posted as the kiddos were born and we would always talk about the health and wellness of these dearest little ones. One day, she brought one in to say hi and my heart melted. This tiny little doe-headed puppy stole my heart. What happened next was something I never would have fathomed: she offered the puppy to me as long as I promised to keep her name 'stella' and give her a loving home. I have enjoyed this dog for 5 years and she brings our whole family so much joy as she refuses to let a sad look remain on your face and does everything possible to win you over to her affection. If not for Starbucks, there would be no Stella.

3. I had this customer who would come in every morning and order a tall mocha. every day. she was my same ago so we became acquaintances and I would ask her about work and boys and life. One day, however, she came in the store and order a decaf. tall. mocha. i immediately inquired as to why the decaf. she told me she was pregnant and not happy about it. she had no idea what to do but knew this was not an optimal time in her life to add a child. My mom is really really passionate about this type of situation and I asked her if she would be opposed to meeting with my mom. She agreed and they set up a time to talk. During this conversation, she informed my mom of her abortion appointment. My mom urged her to reconsider and gave her alternative options and things to think about. The day of her abortion came and my mom and I spent the time on our knees begging for this unborn child. She called me a few hours later, informing me that the doctors refused to preform her abortion because apparently she was not as far along as they originally thought she was and they could not do the procedure. My mom and I rejoiced. She said that that woke her up to realizing that that was not a coincidence and my mom met her for coffee again. She saw that failed attempt as a huge sign but also informed my mom of how dire of a situation she was in. My mom offered for her to come live with us. So she did. This girl, who was originally a tall mocha ended up living in her baristas house and we helped her find a home with whom to place her child and get her back on her feet again.


4. Dominic. Upon entering & opening my second store, I met a boy named Dominic. He and I formed a fast friendship and I just adored his energy, humor, spunk, and spirit. He was a few years younger than I was and I viewed him as a younger brother. I would chastise him if he made silly mistakes throughout life. Dominic was killed in an ATV accident and we had his memorial service in my backyard. I miss him. But I would never have met him if not for a little company called Starbucks.


5. Sarah Beth Ballard. My dearest and bestest friend. We met at the same store that Dominic and I worked at and I just love her to death. I am so blessed by her friendship and we just seem to always encourage and inspire one another. I cannot imagine life with out her.


6. At work, a few months ago, I was at a store in downtown Tempe where homeless people were found in mass quantity. We had one particular homeless man who would sleep in our parking lot in full view of several customers. One morning it was particularly chilly and a woman was sitting at our drive thru window awaiting her drinks. She glanced to her right and came upon this man sitting in his sleeping bag. She immediately asked for an oatmeal, bottle of water, and a 'green machine' Naked smoothie. She drove her extremely nice car over to him and offered him these items. It truly warmed my heart. On another occasion, but same man (I think his name was Michael), our property manager came to our window one morning and informed us that if we saw homeless people 'loitering' in our parking lot we had to kindly ask them to leave.
yeah. right. I could never do that.
So she was cleaning our parking lot a few Sundays later and saw this man sitting in his corner. I was so nervous as to what she would do. She approached him and began conversing with him. He got up and my heart sunk. I just felt so bad that she kicked this man with nowhere else to go out of a parking lot.
but then. she walked with him, over to our window. She purchased him a cup of coffee, lunch sandwich, and muffin. All while offering him tips on how to avoid the cops and where to go. Good deeds still do happen in the world.


7. I met Matt because of Starbucks.


8. I have had a job all through out this economy nightmare that has enabled me to work in California during school and come home to pick up shifts during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Summer breaks. Such a blessing.


So I know that Starbucks takes a lot of low blows from people but there are some pretty incredible things that happen every day. I was reading someone's blog yesterday and they wrote about a barista who offered a kidney to a regular customer who was desperately in need. I often get so wrapped up in the millions of things I have to do while behind the counter but every once in a while it's good to stop. and think about why I do what I do.


and I can work another day.


Onward,
Carley.

3 comments:

joshua monnens said...

Reading # 4 about Dominic made my eyes water. I miss that guy. Wow that is so tru how many friendships we have formed with working at the Sbux. It is so weird how a company has brought us altogether and created long lasting friendships. I am not going to lie I do miss the Starbucks and the fun we have had and the laughs we shared and the tears that we have shared as well. How many times you ahve made us laugh until we cried with your "innocent" comments and sayings. Good times..

Mark, Shannon,Trey, Boston, & Lola said...

These were the neatest stories!!!!

Mackey said...

I want to work for the Sbux again...


mostly...