Monday, April 19, 2010

Farewell, Chihuahua Plantation...

This weekend was pretty phenom...

Except for Matt being in AZ,

I got to stay in Cali this weekend and had lunch with all of my fellow Kerns and the President of APU. He wanted to meet with all of us to hear our aspirations and dreams for the Church in the future and hear how we are going to initiate this change rather than wait for someone else to bring this change...

It was a great time, not only to hear what Dr. Wallace's view and hope for the grad school of theology is, but also because I got to sit around a table of 18 or so other students and hear people's hopes for the church. I sat there, looking from Owen, to Morgan, to Jon, to Andrea, and so on and just praised God for each of them. I truly am blessed to be part of this caliber of scholars and humans.

Later in the afternoon was my very. first. bridal. shower.

Luckily, the anxiety in my heart lifted in time to enjoy a wonderful shower with my dearest of California girls. My mom flew in for the day and I was so glad she was there. It just felt more...right to have her there, even if it meant a crazy day of flying in and driving back in a day. Thank you to everyone who made the afternoon so special to me.


But here's the best part....


You see, my best friend, Sarah Beth Ballard and I used to have this pact a few years ago.  We agreed that we would be best friends forever and grow old together as spinsters and own a Chihuahua plantation...(because we both hate cats) I love how I make this sound like this was plan a.

it wasn't plan a.

this was because....

We were both in the same season of life with men...and that season would be...drought. 

Rather than moping about it, we made the best of it and dreamt up what life would be like owning dozens and dozens of little taco bell dogs.

Well, a few years later, she met a boy.

This boys name was Mackenzie.

And I was sad because a part of our hopes of the C.P. were fading a bit as their relationship became more serious. Don't get me wrong, I was so happy for her.  but... the chihuahua plantation...

then I met a boy named Matt.

And we both agreed to let the C.P. dream die for good. Especially after I got engaged.

Well, Saturday, after almost 3 years of dating, Mackenzie asked my best friend to marry him.

Which brings me back to the order of the weekend's festivities...
My mom and I were heading due East on the I10 and my phone rings.

it's Sarah Beth Ballard.

Carley: Hi Sarah Beth!

Sarah: HI! (sounds echoey)

Carley: (the echoey sound prompts me to ask...) Are you at Mackey's house?!? (Mackey just bought a new house and they're ripping it to the framing and putting in hard wood floors, and painting and all the other amazing things that come along with new home owning)

Sarah: Well, yes, I'm at my future house :) (I write a smiley face because I could sense the smile in her voice)

Carley: AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! (nearly driving off the road, screaming at the top of my lungs, mom catches on and joins in on the hooting and hollering!) 

No additional word was needed. I knew. My best friend had been asked the most important question of her life. And my heart lept for joy.


So, I suppose it is time to say goodbye to our dreams of the Chihuahua plantation and say hello to our futures...not as Chuhuahua plantation owning spinsters...still as best friends...and wives

Sarah and Mackey, I am so incredibly happy for you i can't even begin to describe the peace that comes in to my heart that Sarah has found such an incredible man to love & adore her. 






congratulations, my best friend.
  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!! Farewell INDEED to our dreams of Chihuahua plantations!! Love you to pieces Carley Block (almost Maier!!)!!!