Thursday, April 29, 2010

Mr. & Mrs. Moody

Remember this post?

Well, I am proud to say, I finally was nice on an airplane.

Last night, I boarded my first flight for the entire semester. Much needed. Almost too easy.

No one in the security check point (although those suckers did take my Nivea face lotion...maybe it looked like it might be some sort of lotion bomb).

Walked to my gate, which was conveniently located in the very first wing of the closest terminal. (this never happens...my family has a joke that the airlines play practical jokes on us because no matter what, where, or when we fly we are absolutely always in the very last gate...sometimes they even have to shuttle us outside because our plane is that one on the end of the tarmac with the wheel up stairs...ridiculous)

And got on my plane.

I noticed there were a lot more people on my flight than usual. I wouldn't have my very own row like I am accustom to. As the people kept flooding on the plane, a young man commented on my Azusa Pacific University t-shirt I seem to always sport when I fly. I honestly never consciously think about this, but I always end up wearing one of my t-shirts or sweatshirts and 9 times out of 10 someone comments on it.

Well, the young man ended up sitting right next to me. He sat down and we began random conversation. however, we never got each other's names...i kinda like it like that...

It turned up that he was going to visit his best friend, who coaches track & field at APU. It also turned out that he got his undergrad at Moody Bible Institute (where my parents went and pledge their entire allegiance to) in Youth Ministry (what my undergrad is in).

The rather moody stewardess took our drink orders and returned a bit later with one drink, which she put down in front of me.  Mr. Moody ordered apple juice. I ordered ginger ale. 

It looked close enough to my drink color, so I took my first sip.

Not Ginger ale. Definitely Apple juice.

I tell Mr. Moody about this possible mix up and wait until he is served my ginger ale to inform him. Not knowing what to do, I think about calling Mrs. Moody over and requesting a new AJ. With out even thinking, he simply switches our drinks.

For the duration of the flight, we find out that we lived in a lot of the same cities and he is just such a great guy. I really, honestly felt like we could have been great, great friends had we gotten to spend more time together.

Anyways, this also got me thinking of how much I just absolutely love being a part of the family of God. I got to have this phenomenal conversation with this complete stranger because of our common passion for Jesus. I felt like I had known him forever. I was so encouraged by his faith and I just thoroughly enjoyed my random conversation with a nameless guy.

I guess I can be nice on airplanes...and the best part? I never got conversation claustrophobia.

No comments: