Friday, August 27, 2010

wait...

I listened to a sermon this summer called "Freedom From The Fear of Man", by JR Vassar (sermon from Feb. 28 if you feel like listening to it) and it has sort of become my theme.

The sermon, as hinted by its title, touches on the topic of fearing man more than we fear God. The pastor mentioned that our culture has become so infatuated with what we think of one another that we have allowed that to trump our fear for God.

I was so convicted by this sermon.

Because I definitely fear man more than I fear God. In fact, I think we would be hard pressed to find a woman who doesn't.

Because we fear one another so much, we:
  • diet
  • shop
  • exercise
  • put on make-up
  • criticize ourselves way too much
  • love ourselves way too little

Another key theme to my summer has been the word, "wait". I mean literally it is almost humorous how many times this stinkin word has come up during my quiet times in my scripture reading or my books I am reading. For example, today I read: Psalm 27:14: "wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!" As I typed that verse, the song I am listening to said, "I just want to wait on you God". See what I mean? This is only the tip of the iceberg...

The reason I think this word is ringing so true is because I have been fighting an inner battle this summer feeling as though I should have that dream job that all people in my life seem to be landing these days. So many of my friends and family are finally working in their desired field and I am...making coffee....still...after six and a half years...

so my inner self has been fighting and pressuring myself to try to find that perfect job for me.

But I am doing it because I have this fear for man that when they ask me what I do and I tell them I still make coffee, I feel as though they are judging me. I am not wanting that perfect job because that is truly what I feel God wants for me right now. Because God is obviously telling me to

wait.

So, I am finally throwing up my hands in surrender. And it has been so beautiful since I have done so. I feel so fulfilled and feel as though I am right where God wants me to be. The pressure is off. And I am simply resting in God and His plan for my life.

2 comments:

samela babe. said...

this is beautiful. i completely agree. and i love it.
xo.

Glamourous Design said...

LOVE this! It's so relevant to every aspect of my life right now! Thanks for sharing ; ) God uses you to speak to hearts more than you know!