Monday, November 29, 2010

Advent Conspiracy

This Christmas season already feels different to me, in the most wonderful way...even though it's not even December yet.  You see, I attend a church in AZ that has decided to re-claim Christmas.  We are making a solid effort to combat consumerism and refocus the season back toward Christ. And I love this. Please watch this video.



I grew up in a home where Christ was definitely welcomed in on Christmas morning. We would always read the Christmas story and my dad always reads an excerpt from a book that is among my favorites. But then we always dug in to the presents.

Don't get me wrong, I am super thankful that my parents went so out of the way every year to ensure that all our wishes were granted. It always took hours for us to open all of our presents. And I can certainly remember those gifts that will remain with me forever. But can I remember half of the gifts I have received over the years that, at the time, I had to have? Probably not.

And that season of our lives has past. We are now hoping to invite Christ in to our entire Christmas season more than five minutes, Christmas morning.

Which brings me back to why I am so thankful for my church.

Our pastors have awarded us the opportunity to dodge consumerism and for that, I am so grateful. I have longed to do something like this for awhile, but never knew how to go about finding an organization.

Here's what Mission Community Church is doing:
During the next 3 Sundays, and on the website, we can make a gift of $40. In return, these funds will go toward Somebody Cares, which is an organization in Chikudzulire, Malawi that reaches in to their community and feeds needy and orphaned children.  This $40 will feed one child for one year. Yes, you read that right. $40. One child. One year. 

The goal of this project is to feed 1,500 children, which I think is too small of a goal! Think about it. $40. We spend that on one dinner out. Starbucks for a week. One pair of shoes. A sweater. etc.

So Matt and I have decided, in lieu of gifts, to buy this gift and give money on behalf of our family members. We will wrap up the magnet as the gift and let our family see how a child was offered a second chance at life for their Christmas gift. I am not writing this to try to champion Matt & my decision and look holier than thou, but to attempt to inspire you to join us. In return, I do not need to rush off to malls and battle traffic and wrap gifts (which is actually no where in my strengths) and stress out and cross off names on my list. I simply get to go to church and give! And if I want to enjoy the tradition of Christmas-time shopping, I can simply go and browse and maybe pick up one small, thoughtful, inexpensive gift.

I'm not gonna lie, I get wrapped up in consumerism alot. I love shopping (even online). I get this urge to keep up with the Jones' or give the best gift of the day and watch that loved one's face light up. So this will be a different (and even difficult) season. But I look forward to seeing what God does through it!

Please, pray about the decision to potentially join this cause and reclaim Christmas!

 

No comments: