Monday, November 22, 2010

G-Free

So I was at work on Friday when all of a sudden, a horrific pain came shooting up my back/colon-y area (if I were to have to guess, I would say that area). It was gone as quickly as it had come but man was it painful. For the remainder of the day I was uncomfortable but did not experience that same type of pain.

The following day, I was at work, forgetting for the most part about the previous day when bam it happened again.  This time it was longer and less easily forgettable. I felt as though I needed to run in to the back room and cry. For the remainder of the day I was incredibly bloated and uncomfortable.  I took my lunch break and could not sit up straight because my stomach hurt so badly. I asked Matt to bring me cranberry juice and a colon cleanse in order to alleviate my pain...I took a colon cleanse and no such luck...

So after work, I began researching all of my symptoms online. After an hour or so of reading up on everything I began to see a recurring theme: celiac disease.

**sidenote: if you know me at all, you know I am always down for a new natural healing health practice, dietary restriction, homeopathic healing, etc. so you people all know where I am heading with this**

I was in such discomfort that I nearly missed Sarah's bachelorette party, which would have been awful.  I immediately knew that the problem was bad enough that I had/have to think fast and make sudden changes to my diet/lifestyle.

So...let me report...


I am now gluten-free!!!!

Andrea, if you're reading this you're probably dying that I am trying yet another thing...

I'm just going to try it for a few weeks and see how I feel. I need to go to the doctor and get officially tested to see if I am actually gluten intolerant or celiac.

So after several texts to Dena, who is a fellow (more experienced) gluten intolerant, I ventured off to my first gluten-free shopping excursion.  I had to drop off forgotten items to Matt at his school, which is conveniently located next to a Trader Joe's...So I walked in...

After a few moments of walking around aimlessly in a crazy-packed store (**not to self do not go grocery shopping thanksgiving week...good grief**) I was feeling desperate and unsuccessful. I found the nearest Trader Joe's employee, used my star skills and asked for help. This dear girl was so helpful and pointed me in the direction of a few of her gluten-free favorites.  She also informed me that they had a list of all of their no gluten ingredients and items in their store, which she tracked down for me! For your convenience, I found one online, too. 

I found a few really good items and realized that my absolute favorite thing at Trader Joe's, their white cheddar popcorn, is gluten free!!! wahoo!

So I will keep you posted on this area of my life but I have been gluten free (and pain free, mind you) for two whole days now with high hopes for it to continue!

1 comment:

Andrea G. Vaudrey said...

Oh Carley I love you and your natural remedies. I will be interested to see what this new lifestyle does for health (I'm being serious) because as always I will up for following in your footsteps if you find something that works : ) miss you lots dear friend.