Monday, January 25, 2010

One Year Ago Today...

Today marks the beginning of a very amazing year for me. Actually, one year ago tonight, not one year ago today...One year ago this morning, Matt surprised me by driving through the night (thank God I didn't know he was doing it or I would have been up all night worrying about him) and showing up at 5am at my Starbucks in California, where I was opening my store. We had a really wonderful day together (although he was a bit tired) and it came time to head to CCV, where I was interning, when I got a little nervous...
I realized tonight was baptism night at the church. Jeff Vines (senior pastor) had been reading the gospels and realized that on several occasions in scripture, Jesus says, "Repent, and be baptized". He doesn't say, "repent, serve the church for five years, ask all of the questions you need, and when you are ready, be baptized."
back to the story...I walked in to church and saw the blow up pools in the front of the stage and the baptismal all lit up, and my mouth went a little dry. I didn't want Matt running out of the building thinking we were some crazy cult, and I most certainly didn't want him to think I was pressuring him to make this decision. So we sat through the staff meeting and heard about how the night would run. I was assigned the post of receiving the people who came forward and walking them from the front of the audience to the station where they would fill out information, receive an extra t-shirt (if need be) and walk them to the pools. I just assumed Matt would sit in his chair during this time, or he would help the other people who made the decision to be baptized. So Jeff gives an amazing and I mean it, amazing sermon on baptism (you can listen to it here) and calls the volunteers forward...the moment of truth. So Matt and I get up, as planned, and head to the front of the room...my heart pounding out of my chest. Pastor Vines continues to explain that over 500 people were baptized during the morning services, and he expects God to move the same tonight...Then he says, "If you want to be baptized, please do it today. Please don't wait. Please don't be embarrassed, or make excuses any more" and Matt turns to the coordinator of this event and says, "I want to be the first one to be baptized" and...
the rest of the night is a sheer blur...
All that I know is that one year ago today, Matt's life changed. He has a light in his eyes that was not there 366 days ago. I am so proud of the Christian man he has become in this short year's time and I cannot wait to see what God does with him in the future.
Happy birthday baby, and happy 1 year spiritual birthday. I love you.

2 comments:

Kate said...

love love love all of it. When He calls your name it just happens. I am so thankful Matt has had you and your family and so many others to walk through his "baby" years with. Learning to walk with Christ and what life with Him looks like....the good, the hard, and the sometimes painfully ugly. Love you Carley and indeed, Happy Birthday...Happy Life Day Matt!

carleyverlene said...

thanks baby girl :)