Tuesday, September 13, 2011

It's a new day...a brand new day...

um so picture this with me...

the sky is spitting down snowflakes, your sequence dress is sparkling, the sparklers are being lit and...3....2....1.....

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!

and what always follows (besides the kiss, obviously!?!?!)

new year's resolutions.


I have made several resolutions over the years. little, if any, have stuck with me. but there's always next year, right?

Well, Monday was a sort of new year's day for me. as I have been seeking the Lord more and more several areas of opportunity in my character have been made very clear to me. So, monday morning I woke up and declared it a new year.

Here is my list:

  • hygiene (so embarrassing to admit)
    • wash my face before bed every night
      • to aid in this resolution, I purchased a new skin care system from Mary Kay that I am already loving! It makes washing my face fun! 
    • floss more regularly
  • health
    • work out 3-5 times per week (yes, I'm still planning on running the half marathon!)
    • wear sunscreen
    • eat well 
      • luckily, i scored my mom's juicer and i have been juicing away...and i love it! 
      • cook more frequently (i.e. every night!) 
      • eat zero starbucks pastries. ugh. 
  • husband
    • make matt lunch every day
    • up the between the sheets time...wink wink
    • never mock or disrespect matt in public. ever.
    • serve intentionally
  • home
    • less clutter
    • make the bed every day
    • walk through every room in the house (ok it's a 1000 sq foot apt...this shouldn't be difficult) before bed and tidy up. love waking up to a spotless home
  • me
    • spend less money
    • laziness
    • keep up on personal learning...just because i graduated seminary should not mean i stop studying, learning, and loving God with my mind


I realize this list seems a bit extreme. However, I have come to the conclusion that each of these has the ability to happen or not happen each and every day. Each morning, I wake up and choose to make decisions. Whether or not I make these decisions is up to me but here's the beauty...one day at a time. If I look ahead 30 days from now and imagine all of the lunches, face washings, miles spent running, purchases I want to make, etc. I get overwhelmed and feel as if this mountain is too big. But when it is boiled in to daily activities, it becomes much more manageable.

It all dwindles down to discipline. I am, by nature, a lazy person. I love sitting on the couch and flipping through channels while I pin things on pinterest or search apartmenttherapy. But when I lay my head down at night (with my make-up still on) I feel guilty and purposeless. 

yesterday was day #1 of this new me. I worked. worked out. spent time with Jesus. grocery shopped. laundry. made a salad for a dinner party. made an extra for matt's lunch. washed my face. and I lay in bed last night feeling so satisfied with my day. 

So here's to tomorrow... 

1 comment:

Miss Kate said...

This is great Carley! I agree with you completely, I am by nature more inclined to lay around than get up and actually do something! Just taking it day by day, or as they saying goes 'How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.' bite by bite you will get there! I may have to come up with a list of my own!