Wednesday, September 1, 2010

arch enemy: splenda

ok, my dear friends...many of you may already know (or have read my facebook status) that I hate-hate-hate-loathe-loathe-loathe:

splenda


I know I am immediately creating enemies with approximately 98% of women in the world who swear by faux sugar substitutes, but I am ok with that as long as I can scare just a few out of dumping the little yellow packet down the garbage rather than in your bevvies.

A few years ago, we had a regular customer who would order her usual beverage at the bux (which consisted of about 8 splenda) a few times a day. However, one day she came in and stopped us from going about making her usual drink. She informed us she had just come from the doctor's office due to severe stomach pains. After a few routine tests, her doctor concluded that she had holes in her stomach lining. His first question? 

do you drink splenda?

He warned her never to drink splenda again because he sees cases like this every day. 
Naturally, I told everyone I knew to stop drinking splenda. but then the warning wore off and I sort of would bring it up in conversations here and there (i.e. when one of my partners would drink it, I would warn them against it). 

Until last night...another customer struck again! He came in and had to switch up his regular drink because he had just come from the doctor's office and was told he had holes in HIS stomach lining due to splenda! 

The moral of this story? STOP DRINKING SPLENDA!!!!!

3 comments:

Julie-Anne said...

Wow! I didn't know that. If we had splenda here in the DR, I would be using it until I read your blog. That is horrible!

kate harris said...

Thanks for writing this!! There are a few books out there in the cooking world that talk about the dangers of Splenda.

For starters, it's still banned in Canada because of how dangerous it is, and the FDA wouldn't approve it for consumption in the US for almost 10 years because of the results they were getting in labs. Splenda is made up of the same components that are in formaldehyde. (completely gross!!) It's also been proved by doctors that people who drink fake sugars are mor likely to have gallstones and stomach lining issues.

Our bodies are designed to crave things like sugar, and when we fill it instead with things that are fake, it doesn't curb the craving...it makes it worse. Statistics show that people who drank drinks that are labeled "diet" or "sugar free" were more likely to be overweight than people who drank drinks with regular sugar.

So, I hate Splenda and refuse to use it in any way, shape, or form. Regular sugar in small doses is a much better way to go. :)

carleyverlene said...

thanks, katie for sharing! I completely agree.